How Technology Secretly Rules our way of life
Part B. Tech diary day
On a day to day basis the majority of the world’s population uses technology more than they actually realize, I myself am an example of this statement. When the task of creating a tech diary was purposed in class I personally felt that I would not have very much to put into it besides a few texts here and a call there. However, after yesterday I will never underestimate my technological daily uses again. On October 23, 2011 my tech diary day began. I split this journal up into three sections in order to capture every element of technology that was used from the time I wake up until I return to sleep.
To start the diary I will begin in the morning. When I first woke up at 9am I saw that I had a text message waiting for me. This is a normal everyday thing because it is my girlfriend saying good morning. So right at the start of my day technology is already a part of my life. From there it was time to eat breakfast and get ready for class. When I got in my car to go to class that was when I noticed a bulk of technology I use. Recently I purchased a 2010 Camaro and it’s fully loaded. That means heated seats satellite radio, USB port for my IPod, and a GPS with on star. During my trip that averages forty- five minutes to class I use my cell phone, CD player, Sirius radio and most likely my IPod. Before getting out of my car I needed to call my mother to ask her a question and because I was still in my vehicle my hands free feature in my car came on and my call was filtered through the car speakers. Once at school and in class I text on and off for the majority of the class which lasts roughly an hour and forty eight minutes. While in that class the professor uses a projector to teach so I wanted to add that in because it is effecting my day. The next section of my documented day would be my afternoon.
In this next section of my tech diary I will focus on my tech uses during the bulk of my day. Going from my first class I have a few minutes to get to my second. While on the way to that next class I throw my IPOD on and listen to some of my favorite music to pass the time. Once in the next class I pull out my laptop and pull up the slides for that class in order to better follow along. Again in this class like the next my attention isn’t being held so I text on and off for the next hour. When I get to the point where I can’t take it anymore it’s time for FaceBook or a computer game. Once class is over my IPOD goes back in my ears and I listen to music until the bus has taken me back to where I parked on the other side of campus. The car ride to work is the same as the trip described on the way to school. Once I get to work I have to be signed into my cash register at Meijer by 3:30 pm. The cash register alone is a form of technology that I use for eight hours a day a majority of the days during the week. While at work when I do not have any customers my cell phone is on and I will text or play games until a customer comes to me. That covers the afternoon portion of my day and it’s time to move onto the last part or the evening.
When my night is beginning to wind down my texting becomes slowed and more spaced out. After work is over I get back into my car and go back to my house for the night. After dinner is when the newest piece of technology comes into play. With my girlfriend going to school almost three hours away Skype has become a great way to get face time during the week. After that we exchange a few texts and then go to sleep. That concludes my summery of my tech diary day.
After looking back on my day I can say that I use technology far more than I ever thought I did. From when I get up to when I go to bed technology plays a key role in my life. I would say that my time is well spent for the most part. However, I do think that at a few points in my day putting down the technology would prove to be more beneficial. With that being said I can see why in this technological era people grown more dependent on their devices by the day.
As far as totals and tallies for my technology use it was very shocking
1. Text sent 178
2. Text received 152
3. IPOD 1 Hour
4. Satellite radio 90 Min
5. Cell Phone 16 Hours
6. Electronic Cash register 8 Hours
7. Laptop 2 Hours
8. Skype 2 Hours 38 Min
I would say that I am an early adopter. I do like to grab the newest technology as it comes out however, not only because I don’t want to be the last one to have it but because with every advancement in technology it gives more room for growth as a culture. I would also say that I am dependent on this technology but not on an unhealthy level. Technology is a way of life and today’s diary proves that.




No comments:
Post a Comment